Thai Style Broth
20 mins | Serves: 2
- 2 Peppercorn Extra Lean Beef Burgers
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, cut into short thin sticks
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 300g orange sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 55g (2 cups, firmly packed) finely shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1 large head bok choy, trimmed leaves separated, washed, chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves (reserve stalks and roots to use in the stock)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, chopped
- 1 small fresh red chilli, halved
- Stalks and roots of 1 bunch coriander, washed, chopped
- 1.25L (5 cups) water
1 – Stock: Put ginger, garlic, lemongrass, chilli, coriander stalks and roots, and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Strain, discarding all the solids, reserving stock. Wash and dry pan.
2 – Shape each burger into 5 balls. Heat the olive oil in the saucepan on medium. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add ginger, garlic, chilli, sweet potato and reserved stock. Cover and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
3 – Add cabbage and bok choy to broth. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until cabbage and bok choy just wilt. Stir through ¼ cup of the coriander leaves.
4 – Divide soup between bowls. Drizzle sesame oil over. Top with remaining coriander to serve.